As some of you may know, we put out a scholarship a few times a year called the STEM Premier iShine Scholarship. The idea is for students to show us how you use they use their STEM Premier digital profile to best showcase themselves and shine - Experiences, coursework, videos, projects - everything that sets them apart are put front and center!
This time around, we asked applicants to submit a short video answering the question: STEM careers have grown over the last 20 years. Jobs, tools, technology makes the future possibilities endless. This being said, how do you envision your role in the STEM future of our society?
We had many fantastic applicants, and we are pleased to announce the winner...drumroll please...
Lyndi Kiple from Sergeant Bluff, Iowa!
Lyndi is a rising senior at Sergeant Bluff-Luton Senior High School interested in the field of chemistry. Her college interests include the University of Iowa, the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, and MIT. Check out her video entry below:
We caught up with Lyndi for a little Q & A so we could get to know her a little better. Here’s what she had to say:
1. Something you wouldn't know about me is... I have a collection of stuffed dolphins and other dolphin knickknack like key chains and lights. I've been kind of obsessed with them since about 2009. I wanted to be a marine biologist (and still do sometimes).
2. For fun, I like to…. Cook, bake, travel, and dance. Most of my free time is taken up by all the activities I'm involved in, like the dance team, cheerleading, band, quiz bowl, and serving as president of the student council. I keep pretty busy, but I enjoy all of it.
3. If I could meet anyone in the world, past or present, I would want to meet… Taylor Swift. She is so talented, and seems to do such an impressive job handling her fame while remaining down to earth. I want to know if she's like that in person.
4. The best teacher I’ve ever had is…. My chemistry teacher, Mr. Zahner. He is so passionate and knowledgeable about what he teaches, it makes me excited to learn more.
5. The last app I downloaded on my phone was…. Dish Anywhere so I can keep up with my favorite shows (The Bachelorette and Next Food Network Star) while I'm traveling.
6. After high school, my next step is... To attend a four-year college to pursue a degree in Chemistry and possibly a minor in Spanish, communications, or museum studies. I have a lot of diverse interests!
7. In ten years, I see myself…. living in downtown Chicago with my husband and working a steady job at a lab that is conducting research to help solve problems for people, like making food healthier and with less preservatives.
8. My greatest dream is... To be genuinely happy. I measure my success by happiness, so I would love to say I've worked hard to get myself to a place in life where I'm genuinely happy.
9. The thing I like about STEM Premier most is... It gives me the opportunity to meet people and learn about colleges while showing them who I am, all in one spot. It make the college search a little less overwhelming.
As the winner of the STEM Premier iShine Scholarship, Lyndi will receive $500 as well as the STEM Premier iShine Scholarship Digital Badge. Congratulations Lyndi!